Tuesday 16 November 2010

Weaving

Today I learnt how to set up the loom. It was very time consuming and difficult. Firstly having to create the warp from the spool of thread was rather had. Maybe it was my choice in yarn, however the method is rather difficult. I chose a very fine polyester yarn in white which I will then maybe paint to create different effects with the weft. Also I decided that I wanted the warp to be 7cm wide which meant that each loop I made was 10. I did this so that I could put two warps on the loom to create a quick way of making different samples. The other yarn I chose was a thick white cotton, chosen for its strength. (Warp always has to be extremely strong)
After this, I had to put the yarn through the wooden slats and wrap them tightly around one side of the loom so that when weaving, the warp is gradually let out and it is all even and pulled straight. This was rather tricky and took 2 sets of hands for the job! Once we had done this, we then had to thread through each yarn through the shedding.







No comments:

Post a Comment